SSC CGL 2017 – General Knowledge Quiz – Set 9
01. Consider the following statements:
1. Dayanand Saraswati founded the Arya Samaj in 1875.
2. The Arya Samaj repudiated the authority of the caste system.
3. Dayanand Sarswati was born in a Brahman family.
Which of the statements given above are correct?
(A) 1, 2 and 3 (B) 1 and 2 only
(C) 2 and 3 only (D) 1 and 3 only
02. The doctrines of “non-violence” and “civil disobedience” associated with Mahatma Gandhi were influenced by the works of
03. Consider the following passage:
It urged people to resign from government offices, shun the British law-courts, withdraw from schools and colleges and boycott the elections. On the other hand, there was a campaign for using indigenous goods, especially khadi or homespun cloth.
Which movement does the above passage relate to?
(C) Civil Disobedience
(D) Quit India
04. Which one among the following was not a programme adopted by the Congress while launching the non-cooperation movement?
(A) Surrender of titles and honorary offices, resignation from nominated seats in local bodies, boycott of the official and semi official functions
(B) Withdrawal of children from government schools and colleges
(C) Boycott of elections, foreign goods and government courts
(D) Refusal to pay the revenues to the government
05. The Chola kings were ruling over
(A) Tamil Nadu (B) Andhra
(C) Kerala (D) Bengal
06. Why was the Simon Commission boycotted by the Indians?
(A) It did not include any Indian as a member
(B) It did not have any woman member
(C) It was appointed before the stipulated time
(D) It refused to meet prominent Indian leaders
07. Who was the first Indian to become member of British Parliament?
(A) W.C. Bannerjee
(B) Behramji M. Malabari
(C) D.N. Wacha
(D) Dadabhai Naoroji
08. Fahien’s mission to India was to
(A) Learn about the administrative system of the Gupta kings
(B) Understand the social position of women during the Gupta period
(C) Visit the Buddhist institutions and to collect copies of Buddhist manuscripts
(D) Get full knowledge about the condition of peasants during the period of Gupta kings
09. Which British Military Officer defeated Tipu Sultan in India, Napolean Bonaparte in Europe and eventually became the Duke of Wellington?
(A) Arthur Wellesley
(B) Robert Clive
(C) Warren Hastings
(D) Richard Wellesley
10. The Ashtadhyayi of Panini, the Mahabhasya of Patanjali and the Kashika Vritti of Jayaditya deal with
(A) Principles of Law
(B) Principle of Phonetics
(C) Principles of Grammar
(D) Principle of Linguistics
11. On the tributary of which river has Rihand Dam been constructed?
(A) Chambal (B) Yamuna
(C) Son (D) Periyar
12. The length of India’s coastline is about
(A) 4900 kms (B) 5700 kms
(C) 7500 kms (D) 8300 kms
13. Which one among the following is the most important reason behind the prevalence of extreme type of climate in different parts of India?
(A) The long latitudinal extent
(B) The east-west alignment of the Himalayas
(C) The peninsular location of the country
(D) The significant variation in altitude
14. Why western coast of India receives heavy rainfall but the Deccan Plateau receives very little?
(A) The Deccan Plateau is situated on the beeward side of the Western Ghats
(B) The region is simply bypassed by the south-west monsoon
(C) There is lack of high mountains in the Deccan Plateau
(D) There is weak low pressure belt
15. Which one of the following statements is not correct?
(A) Kandla is a tidal part
(B) Cochin part is located at the entrance of a lagoon
(C) Chennai is a natural harbour
(D) Visakhapatnam is the deepest landlocked port in India
16. Which one of the following countries does not border Lake Victoria?
(A) Kenya (B) Tanzania
(C) Uganda (D) Zambia
17. Which one of the following zones of the atmosphere is rich in ozone gas?
(A) Mesosphere (B) Troposphere
(C) Stratosphere (D) Ionosphere
18. Which one of the following is the first National Park established in India?
(A) Bandipur (B) Corbett
(C) Velavadar (D) Periyar
19. Which one of the following lakes in the India has the highest water salinity?
(A) Dal (B) Chilika
(C) Wular (D) Sambhar
20. In which one of the following islands of India is an active volcano found?
(A) Car Nicobar Island
(B) Nancowry Island
(C) Barren Island
(D) Maya Bunder Island
21.Which one of the following is advance grants made by the House of People in respect of the estimated expenditure for a part of the ensuing financial year, pending the regular passage of the budget?
(A) Supplementary grants
(B) Special grants
(C) Vote on credit
(D) Vote on account
22. Which of the following statements are correct? The attorney general of India
1. must have the qualifications as that required by a judge of the supreme court.
2. enjoys the same privileges and immunities as the members of Parliament.
3. has the right of audience in all courts of India .
4. his salaries and expenses are charged on the Consolidated Fund of India.
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
(A) 1, 2 and 3
(B) 1 and 2 only
(C) 3 and 4
(D) 2 and 4
23. Who among the following Prime Ministers of India never had to seek trust vote (vote of confidence) from the Lok Sabha?
(A) Indira Gandhi
(B) P.V. Narasimha Rao
(C) H.D. Devegowda
(D) Manmohan Singh
24.Who among the following Prime Ministers of India has not presented the budget?
(A) Jawaharlal Nehru
(B) Morarji Desai
(C) Indira Gandhi
(D) Rajeev Gandhi
25. The Parliament is entitled to enact a law of preventive detention for reasons connected with.
(B) foreign affairs
(C) security of India
(D) all the above